Lavera uses: Plant oils e,g, jojoba oil, almond oil, soyabean oil,avocado oi, mostly from certified organic agriculture. Each oil adhers to the strioct BDIH guidelines for controlled natural cosmetics.
Conventional manufacturers use: Mostly cheap oils from the mineral oil industry.
NOTE: Mineral oil based ingredients such as paraffin and silicones are a cheap alternative to valuable plant oils and are known to accumulate in liver, kidney and lymph nodes. With paraffin waxes, even inflammation of heart tissue and heart valve was found. Petroleum based ingredients build a film on the skin and block natural skin processes and breathing.
Lavera uses: Plant based waxes, e. g. beeswax, shea butter, candelilla wax, carnauba wax all BDIH certified.
Conventional manufacturers use: Mostly oils from the petroleum industry.
NOTES: Petroleum based ingredients such as paraffin and silicones are a cheap alternative to valuable plant oils and are known to accumulate in liver, kidney and lymph nodes. With paraffin waxes, even inflammation of heart tissue and heart valve was found. Petroleum based ingredients build a film on the skin and block natural skin processes and breathing.
Lavera uses: Water-alcoholic plant essences extracted with demineralised water (without additives) and natural alcohol. Plant extracts are over 95% from certified organic agriculture, e. g. rose, calendula, lavender, mallow extracts.
Conventional manufacturers use: High content of water is used to keep the production costs of the product low.
NOTES: Too high concentration of water in creams and lotions can dry out the skin. Only a well balanced system of water and oils can protect skin against moisture loss and keep it in balance.
- In the richer emulsions (e. g. Neutral Face Cream) lavera uses two glycerin fatty acid esters. These very mild and very skin compatible emulsifiers consist of plant-based glycerin and a natural fatty acid e. g. from coconut. Both emulsifiers are recommended by the strict BDIH guideline "controlled for Natural Cosmetics". Also used in some richer emulsions is the natural caring ingredient lanolin.
- In light emulsions (e. g. Faces Moisturizing Cream) we use our innovative production process which includes natural lecithin. This process and the skin mild lecithin are also BDIH conform.
Conventional manufacturers use: Commonly used are synthetic PEG (Polyethylenglycol) raw materials.
NOTES: Emulsifiers which contain PEG (Polyethylenglycol) can soak the skin and allow other toxins to enter the skin and body.
* raw materials which combine water and oil in a product
Fragrances and Aromas
- Essential oil compositions for natural scents of products
- Natural aromas, e. g. true vanilla aroma for natural flavour of lipsticks
- Plant based fruit and mint aromas for toothpastes
Conventional manufacturers use:
- Synthetic fragrances often with toxic musk compounds
- Synthetic flavour aromas, e. g. for lipsticks
- Nature identical flavour additives
NOTES: Polycyclic musk compounds are synthetic fragrances that accumulate in fat tissue and even mother milk. They often cause allergies and irritate sensitive skin.
lavera uses a natural preservation system including 8 factors:
- lavera uses natural alcohol, organic quality. Example: the light lavera emulsions contain 3-5 % natural alcohol to ensure the stability of the product.
- lavera uses concentrated, neat raw materials. Example: laveras' surfactant raw materials are used in an optimal concentration to prevent the growth of germs with a security of almost 100 %.
- lavera has intensively studied the adjustment of the ph-value of products. The optimal, mostly slightly acid ph-value prevents the growths of bacterias.
- The mixture of essential oils stabilizes the formulations.
- Production facilities according to GMP standard cause an area which is poor in germs.
- Filling environment (under nitrogen climate) prevents penetration of oxygen into the product. This prevents the growth of yeasts and moulds because they cannot breathe.
- Naturally preserving ingredients such as sea salt (in the toothpaste) and herbal essences protect against germs.
- Vitamin E is used as natural antioxidant.
Conventional manufacturers use: Parabenes, Urea derivatives, Formaldehyde derivatives. They often contain harmful halogenated compounds.
NOTE: People with sensitive skin often have an allergic reaction to parabens. Formaldehyde and derivatives are also irritating and are under discussion whether they cause cancer.
Halogen compounds contain Bromine, Iodine, Fluoride or Chlorine. They are regarded to have an allergy potential and cause cancer. Almost all accumulate in the environment.
- lavera uses mild coconut and sugar based surfactants. They are very mild and not pre-conserved and completely qualify for the German law for biodegradability. All surfactants are plant based and do not contain any mineral oil raw materials. lavera's washing products in baby care, face and body care as well as men care are BDIH certified.
- Due to the customer's demands lavera's hair care products offer effectiveness (e. g. volume) and therefore use natural surfactants that are offering these benefits.
lavera's surfactants are mild to skin, and conform to ecological criteria
Conventional manufacturers use: Beside the aggressive Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, surfactants for conventional products often contain preservatives (e. g. formaldehyde) and are mineral oil based.
NOTE: Sensitive skin often reacts to aggressive surfactants with allergies and irritations. In combination with PEG emulsifiers and Formaldehyde in the preservatives, the allergy and irritation potential is even higher.
* washing agents
- Colour pigments from minerals (glimmer)
- Earth pigments/Iron oxides
- Plant extracts (Chlorophyl, Red Beet extract)
Conventional manufacturers use: Synthetic colourants.
NOTE: Colourants which contain anilin are suspected to cause cancer.
- Organic plant extracts (e. g. calendula, witch hazel)
- Innovative natural ingredients (e. g. ceramides, liposomes, hyaluronic acid)
- Natural moisturizing factors (e. g. plant-based glycerin, lactic acid)
Conventional manufacturers use: Synthetic active ingredients, e.g. synthetic Glycerin
NOTE: Synthetic active ingredients often have an allergy potential for sensitive skin.
Sun Protection Filters
Lavera uses: Pure natural and mineral based light protection pigments: Titanium Dioxide
Conventional manufacturers use: Synthetic sun screens, often containing the toxic Oxybenzone
NOTE: Synthetic sun protection filters are under discussion to influence the hormonal system, this was found in animal studies. The synthetic sun screens accumulate in the body, they were even found in mother milk. Strong allergy potential.
Lavera uses: Eco-friendly packaging made from plastics, aluminum or recycling paper.
Conventional manufacturers use: PVC, PVDC and chlorinated materials that cause toxic fumes in the waste cycle.
NOTE: PVC, PVDC and chlorinated materials pollute the environment during production and disposal process.